Poetic Design


Often the smallest, most seemingly insignificant details are the very things that hold the greatest power. It's the curly tendrils that draw me in like a tractor beam while pursuing the perfect pumpkin. I recently learned that the purpose of the tendril is to protect the pumpkin from wind by twisting itself around fences, posts, and plants. A secure anchor of sorts. I always thought the tendrils were merely a delicate and frivolous extensions of the stem, a character adding accessory. I am happy to discover that the function of the wispy structure isn't decorative at all but actually the lifeline to the survival of the pumpkin. These deceptively whimsical threadlike forms pack enormous physical strength. Uncovering this illusionary and poetic design of delicate strength makes me love these little Jacks just a wee bit more. 

No comments: